The recipe seems simple, our performance will speak for itself, and its fruits are there for the taking. However, we may come to realize that in our rush to achieving success, we often end up falling flat on our noses and simply settle for the lowest hanging fruit.
In our endeavor, we let opportunity over by our heads by focusing solely on the short-term. Our actions were predictable and uneventful. As a result, their outcome turns out quite the same.
In most cases, achieving success relies on us being unpredictable and not being afraid to step outside the comfort zone to take chances.
As an entrepreneur, I’ve learned that great rewards await those who hit high notes out of the least expected situations.
Great Opportunities Come from Taking Risks
Many people frown whenever confronted with the prospect of risk. Understandably so, as it implies that if something is at stake, that something can also be lost.
Other times you will hear that taking risks cripples the ability to bounce back in business entirely. Regardless of whatever shape they take, risks sound dangerous.
However, I challenge you to see things differently. As I have come to experience myself, nothing is more dangerous in the quest for achieving success than stagnation, being stuck in the comfort zone and “playing it safe.”
What makes me think this? Here are some arguments to consider:
- Taking risks shows that you are willing to push boundaries and improve.
- They show that you are up for a challenge.
- The way to reach new heights and claim great rewards is by daring to take a risk.
The Secret for Achieving Success? Hitting the High Notes!
Nothing is guaranteed when putting ourselves in the hands of blind trust. None of the success stories we hear wouldn’t have been possible if there wasn’t risk involved. To refresh our memories:
- J.K Rowling: Did not even own a computer and was a single parent when she wrote her now legendary-status novel series, Harry Potter. It took her one year of having to face rejections before her book got greenlit, and the rest was history.
- Elon Musk: It’s unexpected to hear that an already successful person would have to confront risk yet again. That is what Elon Musk did when he decided to venture from PayPal into an entirely different industry through Tesla and SpaceX.
- Bill Gates: Harvard’s most successful dropout. He left college with the thought of achieving success through founding Microsoft. What might have meant a catastrophic decision for some, in hindsight proved to be the decision worth millions, or billions.
These are but a few examples of leaders who refused to play small and turn their goals into the highest notes imaginable. My case is clear, taking risks pays off!
My own experience in building the various show brands under the umbrella Lovegrove Entertainment has been a big eye opener and allowed me huge self confidence despite already having enjoyed global success setting up ‘The Three Waiters’ all over the world. Everything has been ‘risky’ and yes it did mean I had a few failures along the way but what a ride! With risk came adventure and excitement and they are things that should all drive and motivate us.
Ready for the Next Step?
To reiterate, aiming solely for tangible achievements is limiting in the sense that it bars us from reaching peak performance. Why settle for just that?
Sooner or later, becoming comfortable will become a slowdown for our entrepreneurial career, and we would have gotten nothing out of it except the regret of “not aiming high enough” or “not trying harder”.
Only by shooting for the moon can you push yourself or your career closer to reaching the unexpected high notes.
And before we depart, remember one last thing. Whenever you’re not scared enough, it perhaps means that you’re not doing enough.
An Australian Event Awards ‘Entertainer of the Year’, a music theatre star and co-founder of the world’s most booked corporate entertainment act ‘The Three Waiters’, Darryl’s keynote presentation ‘Hitting the High Notes’ is a compelling story with walk-the-talk key take-home messages and is a ‘must see’ for conference attendees worldwide. He is a unique combination of entrepreneur, speaker and showman – a mesmerising blend of business smarts, engaging storytelling and live opera! It is a combination that has made Darryl one of Australia’s most in demand business and resilience speakers, headlining many Top 500 company conferences including the famed ‘Million Dollar Round Table’ in the USA.
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.darryllovegrove.com.